The PUBLIC WORKS DIVISION promotes the general health, safety and comfort of its residents, small commercial customers and visitors with dedicated and excellent services. Our department is comprised of two divisions:
We also make the necessary repairs and replacements of damaged, worn out garbage cans. This department also retrieves dead animals from curbs or roadway. Small Commercial businesses located in the Core Commercial Business District of Front Streets receives 7 days a week garbage service.
The Sanitation Department does not:
- Remove dead or live animals from private property.
- Our department is not responsible for the cleanliness of Garbage cans.
The Recycling program services Residential customers with the collection of recyclable goods that are placed in the city approved “blue” recycling containers. This service is not provided to small commercial customers at this time.
What’s Recyclable: Auto Batteries (Place beside, not inside recycle bin), Glass & Plastic bottles, Aluminum and Steel cans (No Aerosoles), Flatted boxes, Paper includes newspaper, telephone books, bond/computer paper (no junk mail), Unwaxed Corrugated Board (No Cereal Boxes or soft drink cartons), Used Motor Oil – Tightly closed.
Paint cans and boxes should be placed with your regular Garbage pickup.
- Paint, remove the lid and allow the paint to air dry (harden) completely. Make sure you do this in a well-ventilated area away from children and pets. You can also add cat litter, shredded newspaper, saw dust or sand to the paint to speed up the drying process. Stir occasionally. Once the paint is completely dried, you can dispose of it with your household garbage.
Moving boxes, that cannot be flattened, should be placed neatly on the curb for a curbside pickup.
Pizza boxes are not considered recyclable and should be placed in your garbage container.
Fluorescent light bulbs should be taken to a recycling center.
Streets and Grounds Maintenance
Street Crews provide street maintenance including repairs to potholes, sidewalks, curbing and residential street signs.
Grounds Maintenance Crews maintain and upkeep all City parks and public restrooms as well as perform beautification of the City’s sidewalks, right of ways, welcome signs, medians, and traffic islands.
The Litter Control and Code Enforcers are individuals who look for areas of overgrown lots and trash violations and will issue a citation to persons that are found not in line with city policies and guidelines.
Streets and Grounds Maintenance does not repair or remove:
- State Signs (i.e. Stop signs, Yield Signs); and State Roads (i.e. Fraser and Highmarket Streets). Please contact the South Carolina Department of Transportation (“SCDOT” at 546-2405).
- Asphalt Driveway installations. Contact “SCDOT”.
- Storm Drains, Ditch Cleaning, Water Meters and/or other Water & Sewer issues. Please contact City of Georgetown Water Department at 545-4500.
- City lights, trimming of trees on City right away. Please contact City of Georgetown Electric Department at 545-4600.
**Due to weather, road conditions or Holidays, there may be days where the operators may be off schedule, we thank you for your patience as we try to get to every designated area in a timely fashion.
To report emergency problems after 5pm or during weekends or holidays please contact:
Mailing Address: P.O. Drawer 939, Georgetown, SC 29442
Hours of Operation: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Mon.-Fri.